November 25, 2011

Stepping into a mine field...but we must step

Shock. Shame. Disgrace. This dire situation first came to my attention via Facebook. A few friends had expressed outrage, and asked people to join them in action. I checked out the article and can't adequately sum up what I felt.

After the article, people, lots of people, commented on this story. Some people expressed shock and sadness, others expressed that their are two sides to the story, that First Nations are self-governed and self-regulated, that band leaders dictate how/where money will be spent so this dire situation is "their own fault". In fact, someone commented that this isn't an emergency. "Winter comes every year." I practically threw up in my mouth.

Calm down. Breath. Step back. Let's look at the bottom line. Who is most at risk (and I'm sure this can even be debated)? The children. I have two amazing gifts: beautiful, fun-loving, healthy girls.



It pains me to think about not being able to feed them, clothe them, keep them warm, tuck them into a warm bed at night, protect them from preventable diseases. These parents just want to be able to do the same thing. Did band leaders mismanage money? At this point, WHO CARES!!! We can debate this later. We need to help. NOW.

I have written to my MP. I wasn't even sure who my MP was until I googled the information (slightly embarrassed). It was easy to find her email address. Do it. I sent her the story and asked her for action. I have emailed the MP responsible for bringing this to light to ask where funds can be sent and to ask what else can be done.

One action can make a difference.
Tam

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this also made me so sad.
I was also directed to this petition site, but not sure if people are still able to sign it...
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/633/264/546/

Still love reading your blog :)

the smiths said...

Here is a happy update: Charlie Angus, MP for the Timmins area, tweeted that several federal personalities will be visiting and that the government has pledged $2.5 million. Thanks for taking action!