September 4, 2012

...and it has happened

The first day of school has come and gone...without us. I was on the edge all weekend, double guessing our homeschooling decision. "Could I be the teacher Ro needs? What all is she going to be missing out on? Why did we make this decision? Will Ro and I drive each other crazy being together 24/7? I don't think I can do this..." Ben was my sounding board all weekend (including on our glorious date afternoon/evening) and he patiently responded to all my questions, encouraging me, affirming me, giggling at me (yes, my husband can giggle).

I half-heartedly tried to get hold of the school last week, to no avail. I'm pretty sure I called at poor times (like 4:30 Friday afternoon) so I could change my mind last minute. However, I made the dreaded call at 8:30 this morning, and the poor secretary didn't know what to do with the information. We decided a letter would be best. :)

We spent the day at the chiropractor's, at the orchard (cut short by the rain), at the library, reviewing some letter sounds and making words with them, solidifying some number recognition, drawing a still life of an apple, dancing and singing to "Five Green Apples" by Sharon, Lois,and Bram, doing some calendar stuff (like circle time last year), eating, and reading. While I am writing this post, Vi is serenading us from her crib, and Ro is reading to herself in bed.

Ro at Frootogo, just before the heavens opened
...And we made it. After spending some time playing with this through the month of August, purchasing, investigating, getting my "teacher legs" back, we are ready to roll. Everyday will be different. Some days will have more structure than others. Some days will be for playing. Some will be for traveling. Some will be for wherever the wind blows us. Throughout it all, I know that Ro will feel valued, loved, secure, confident, and cared for. She will learn things that she wouldn't have the opportunity to learn at school. We will learn life together. And for this, I am thankful.

 Here's to a big mug of tea, and an ice cream sandwich (which I already ate for dessert),

My very delicious ice cream sandwich (minus chocolate chips since those cookies were eaten by a certain daughter of mine)
Tam

3 comments:

sue said...

check out my pinterest board...I have tons of stuff that will help you stay on track...You can do this Tam!!!

Julianne said...

So excited for you guys and glad that day one went well. Looking forward to hanging out with you on Tuesdays! :)

TheMortgageMom said...

Loved hearing about the first day - sounded like a great one!!!