December 18, 2012

perspective

Merry Christmas to you all! I have loved simplifying the holidays this year and have really enjoyed the focus our new Advent traditions have brought this season. I can actually say I am full of anticipation celebrating Jesus' birth. With having no Christmas shopping to do, Ben around for the last 2 weeks due to an injury (tore his left quad at work), and minimal baking this year (I scaled down my usual 11-14 recipes to our 3 favourites), I have truly been able to revel in the joy and peace this season can bring. And then...tragedy.

I happened to learn of Friday's tragic events through people's status updates on Facebook, and immediately was shocked and saddened to hear of such devastation and pain. I cannot imagine losing my child or spouse in such a sudden, violent way. But there was something that really started to bother me - the media coverage (which I have not watched) and people processing this through their status updates. And it got me thinking. Do we believe every human life is of equal worth? Because if we do, what about the more than 26500 kids who die every day of preventable causes related to their poverty? Whose status updates are crying out for these mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, grandparents who have lost their innocent child? Just because it happens more frequently and less violently (sometimes) in third world countries shouldn't make it any less tragic, sad, or shocking.

So, to answer the "what can I do in the face of these tragic events" question, it is time to expand "our own backyard". It is time to cry out for those around the world who are orphaned and don't have access to medicine, food, and clean drinking water. It is time to do something. We are aware. We must act. Save a life...now, through purchasing clean drinking water, a mosquito net, an animal for someone, by sponsoring a child. There are many reputable organizations who provide opportunities to do such things (like World Vision, MCC, Compassion, a load of clean drinking water organizations, and lots of other great relief organizations). It is time to get down on our knees and pray for the hurting, the sick, the lonely, the orphaned, the lost, wherever they live, regardless of circumstance. 

"Break my heart for what breaks yours",
Tam


No comments: