April 17, 2013

Mozambique...here I come!!

The countdown is officially on - 30 days until I leave for Mozambique!! This may come as news to some (those who didn't see my Facebook status updates), and is old news to others. What? Why? How? Who with? WHAT??? I thought I would bring you all up to speed...

The AIDS pandemic and its ravaging of the continent of Africa first came onto my radar back in the day, pre-children (I really don't remember those days), when I was working full-time at our church, The Meeting House. I started talking to friends about it, I started reading about it (the first book I read was Stephen Lewis' Race Against Time), and I started to pray. I read a bunch on the unequal distribution of resources in our world, I read more on the plight of our global neighbours, and I prayed more. God put a burning desire on my heart at that time (probably 7 years ago now) to travel to southern Africa - I didn't know how, I didn't know when, I just knew I was to go.

Fast forward 7 years, and here I am, the mother of 2 young children, the wife of someone who is never home while he is working, the person who makes our family tick. But God was stirring. He has been leading me down this path as of late, and I knew I should apply to be a member of the next Africa Learning Team. What's an Africa Learning Team? It's a small team of around 5-7 people from The Meeting House who travel to southern Africa to learn about the programs we fund on the ground, to investigate development, to witness the people and stories and changed lives, to partner with MCC, World Vision, and the BIC church, to build relationships with our friends and partners on the ground, and to be an advocate upon return. Note: to give some context, The Meeting House has given MCC approximately $2.5 million to beef up programs in southern Africa and we have pledged to give another $3.5 million to MCC and World Vision over the next 4 years. 

When The Meeting House began to publicize about its next Africa Learning Teams, one in May (with Mennonite Central Committee) to Mozambique, and one in July (with World Vision) to Malawi, I applied to both. Part of me was really hoping to go on the July trip - we have 2 sponsored children in one of the ADPs the team would be visiting, and Ben's show was scheduled to finish just before the trip so he could be the girls' primary caregiver. The next step in the process was an interview (with 2 of our best friends), and then I was offered a spot on the Mozambique team (in May). I accepted without a single hesitation, though I really thought God wanted me in Malawi and South Africa, not Mozambique. However, after digesting the news, I knew Mozambique was where God wants me. And now I leave in 30 days, to taste, smell, hear, and touch part of the continent I have been yearning to visit.

I AM SUPER EXCITED!!! Did you all hear that? I am so pumped to go, to learn, to hold, to help, to uplift, to be broken, to share stories. I have a team of people praying for me, I have wonderful family, friends, and extended family who are supporting me through encouragement, contributions, long skirts, miscellaneous things I will need for the trip, and prayers, and my kids and husband are excited for me to have this experience too (which is huge). Leading up to my interview, Ro would get teary when we talked about me leaving for 15 days. She would say she didn't want me to go. After I got offered a spot and talked with her about it, she was so excited - not one tear! I know the sadness will come (we had a little bit tonight), but she is stoked because she is going to hang with some of her favourite people (grandparents, dear friends, and her dad). Her routine will remain intact (school, playing, eating, sleeping), and both girls benefit by being able to remain at our home. A huge thank you to everyone who has helped to make this happen!!

I am also totally curious. I wonder what Mozambique will be like when I step foot there? I have read lots, watched lots of footage, but I haven't seen the dirt, breathed in the smells and the ocean, felt the wind, heard the languages. I wonder what God has in store for me and the people I meet? I wonder how our team will click and support each other?

I am also a little nervous. Let's be honest - I've never been away from Ben and the girls for this long (15  days!!). I'm mom and wife. That's who I am, that's what I do. But I have continued to remind myself that most importantly, I am God's child, obeying his leading, venturing out into the unknown. I know He will give me the strength, the peace, and the sustenance I need to make it through. I'm feeling the weight of being the eyes and ears for so many, to remember all the stories, to be an advocate on return. I want to do the people justice. I don't want to forget.

For a quick snapshot of life in Mozambique, read this interesting website: comparing Canada and Mozambique. I'm a senior in Mozambique. That is mind-boggling. To see a country torn apart by civil war, by a colonial power that pillaged and burned as they pulled out; a country on the ocean, yes, but with no water inland; to observe child-headed households and the other devastating affects of the AIDS pandemic - please join me in praying for safety, health, and emotional well-being for our team (Matt, Dan, Tim, Jane, Beth, Siobhan), that God would use us as He sees fit, that we would be open to new and different things, that our advocacy component would come together and bear true witness to Mozambique, MCC, the BIC church, and mostly to the people we meet, and that we would come back to never be the same. Pray for the Mozambicans we will interact with, that we will be Jesus' hands and feet and shine his perfect love. Please pray for our families that we leave behind.

Have any questions? Let me know!

I'm leaving on a jet plane,
Tam


No comments: