December 2, 2011

dear Rowyn

Rowyn,

Tomorrow is the day you have been waiting all year for - your 4th birthday! I know what it is like waiting all year, when everyone is older than you. But, we can't change when your birthday is, so I suggest you continue to make the best of it, which you do.

I can't believe you are 4 years old. I was thinking back to when we got pregnant. It feels like yesterday, but it was over 4 years ago. Then you turned 1. And then I blinked and now you are 4.

This has been a big year.


You became a big sister. You learned how to share us with someone else.

Ro and Vi (6 weeks old)

Ro and Vi (4 months old)
You learned to write letters and numbers and read some words. Here you are the first time you wrote your name, "Ro".

February 
You took tap, ballet, and gymnastics lessons. You learned to skate and skip. You learned how to pedal your tricycle.


You started SCHOOL!!??!!


I want to freeze time, to hold you tight, to soak up every minute with you. I think you have been feeling the same way based on our conversation last night, while snuggling in my bed (our of the blue).

Ro: "When I get married, I won't live at home (getting choked up) anymore, will I?"
Me: "No, you won't, honey."
Ro, in a quavering voice: "I'm never going to get married. I'm always going to live at home, until I'm the last number, until I (voice cracks) die."
Me: "There is nothing that would make me happier."

You probably won't want to stay with me for the rest of your life, but in some ways I wish that could happen.

I love your smile and dimples, your laugh, the way you wriggle and giggle while being tickled, the way you can calm yourself down and explain what is going on in your head, how excitable you are, the way you share your things with others, your genuine desire to have people over all the time, the way you interact with Vi (most of the time), your heart for others and for Jesus.

It is my prayer for this coming year that you continue to learn how much you are loved by us, others, and God, that you continue to shine love to others, that you remain secure in who you are, that you reach out to those around you that need love, that are lonely, that are different. I thank God for entrusting us to be your parents (sometimes this FREAKS ME OUT!!). He has temporarily given you to us so that we can show you love and teach you how to love, and encourage you to become the best version of you possible. I take this job as being your mom most seriously.

Ro, you are loved. Thank you for teaching us so much, especially about forgiveness.

Mom and Dad

2 comments:

Born Again Carrot said...

God has special plans for Rowyn!

Ali Raney said...

Happy birthday Rowyn!! Such a beautiful little girl. Loved the marriage convo and the choking up haha :) You're a great mom Tammy. Oh, and I just noticed my button on your sidebar. Thanks for the feature! xo