February 16, 2012

still going strong

We are adjusting once again. Ben has been home for three weeks which means I have had adult companionship for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I am a happy, filled woman. This also means that the little moments of time I would normally steal to blog were overshadowed by hang out time, movie watching, playing, etc. Well, Ben is back to work and today is day two of "real" life - life as we know it. Yesterday was clean the house day (let's be clear - this still happened with Ben at home, but it took way less time since there was 2 adults cleaning) and start to catch up with life day (though my baking to do list is still quite extensive). Today, Ro is in school, Vi is down for her nap. I could be baking, but I have a mission that is top priority. I must blog. I have missed reading blogs, staying in touch via blogs, sharing on our blog. And my topic is of utmost importance.

Grade 13 grad, June 1993 (dating for 8 months)
Tomorrow, the 17th, is our 16th wedding anniversary. Imagine, if you will, doing anything for that long. Most people will have had at least 2 jobs in that length of time (Ben has had 2 and I have had 3). I only keep in touch with a few friends from 16+ years ago (thanks to Facebook). Hairstyles change, eye prescriptions change, what is cool in pants changes. Even my love for my husband has changed. It has grown, matured, gained intensity. It has aged nicely, like a good piece of red meat...but I digress.

Our only wedding photo (scanned from our scrapbook)
It is no secret that I love my husband. I am still in love with him. He doesn't have to do anything to earn that unfortunately. I chose to be with him, to spend the rest of my days with him, come what may. Love is a choice, and I still choose Ben, every day, every moment.
Us in 2002, Toronto
J
I could tell you about our days, married at 21, living the life of students, scraping together rent and grocery money, visiting Ben at his part-time jobs at The Bread Bin and Humber Library. You could share my pride as I bragged about my husband, and how his career in the film industry has been one of envy. You can check out his filmography here. We could cry together remembering the lowest point in our marriage, when Ben was home for 6 months, unemployed, depressed, thanks to SARS. We had trouble communicating and it led to some dark moments. You would laugh at how we decided to have kids, after fluctuating back and forth between yes and no so many times ("say yes or no when we count to 3").

At my bro's wedding, September 2005
I could go into more detail about Ben and how amazing he is, but I don't want to become the blogger who repeats herself. Check out what I have to say about him.

At Paradise Island, on our recent trip
Much has changed in 16 years, but what hasn't is our commitment to each other, our deep friendship, our making each other our top priority. We are partners in crime, an united force, equal partners in our marriage. Keeping our marriage healthy and strong takes work, but it has been sooooooo worth it. Being loved by a man as amazing as Ben takes my breath away and is so surreal.

Paris for our 10 year anniversary, February 2006

Paris, February 2006
Venice, March 2006

Gondola ride, Venice, March 2006



Vatican, Rome, March 2006

Pompeii, March 2006


Roman Forum, March 2006
Ben, you are my everything. You are my last thought at night and my first thought in the morning. Nothing will take your place. You complete who I am. You are my biggest admirer and for that I am eternally thankful. Your words are a source of strength and encouragement to me. Your love is selfless - thanks for setting that example. Thank you for making my wants and needs yours. We are one. 16 years later, I can say with all my heart and with a much more informed passion that I will love you for better or for worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, 'til death do us part.

Family, May 2009
Family, October 2011


I will repeat "I do" every day of my life, until I take my last breath,
Tam

2 comments:

matt said...

Wow Ben was quite the hipster back in 1993...

Julianne said...

Happy Anniversary! So fun to see the pictures and see a couple who has worked hard at it!!