March 1, 2012

green and clean

The move to clean up our eating by the Smith clan has been long overdue. Last week when I ended up researching curly hair, I had actually started out the evening by researching healthy eating. Here is my disclaimer: I wasn't looking to become vegetarian and the changes needed to be kid-friendly. If you were to ask me if our family eats healthy, I would have said most of the time. Meals are made by moi (unless we go out to a restaurant), we choose whole grain over white, we don't eat dessert all the time, our breakfasts consist of homemade granola or homemade pancakes (oats, spelt flour), we strive to eat all the food groups in accordance with recommendations. That being said, we had room to improve. I knew we could be eating more fruits and veggies, and, the thing I am most guilty of, I knew we could be eating a better variety of things. One of my survival tactics has been to eat generally the same breakfast (as mentioned)/lunch (carrots, cuc, a form of grain, a form of fruit). Dinner was the ticket to variety.

The first thing that came to my attention was the need to increase our fruits and vegetables. The easiest way I could see to do this was by drinking a green smoothie. I have always loved smoothies, but have never stayed on the bandwagon for long. However, after all the different variations I found, I thought we should give these a try. And Ben was on board (phew). The first one we tried was called "Everything Green Smoothie" (go big or go home, right?). Here it is in our blender. And guess what? It was delicious!! Who knew kale, spinach, chard, cuc, apple, banana, flax, almond milk, and ice would be sooooo delish?? We have tried two other smoothie recipes (a toddler friendly one which I changed around a little which was the most disgusting, and a chocolately chocolate green smoothie), and this one has remained our fave (I pinned it on pinterest too).

Everything Green Smoothie
Since last Sunday, Ben and I have had a green smoothie every morning. The girls have tried each one, but haven't really gotten on board. It is important to model healthy eating and talk about it. They might come around one day.

The next thing I discovered was our reliance on wheat and wheat products. Who doesn't love cookies, crackers, and freshly baked bread?? I wanted to cut down on our wheat consumption, not go totally gluten-free.

And protein? We got most of our protein from meat. This was going to change. Ben asked if we were becoming vegetarians. Remember that Big Green Egg? The smoker/griller that Ben loves to use? I laughed and told him no. I just wanted to decrease our intake of animal products.

Last, but not least, is the topic of sugar. I am married to a man who LOVES chocolate, and Ro has adopted that sweet tooth. I have a little experience with avoiding sugar (I was off it for 1 year before I had Ro - had to bring my yeast levels down and my good bacteria levels up) and it can be done. I relied on maple syrup and honey. But already, I have used something called agave nectar (or syrup) in smoothies and the chocolate pudding (see below). So far, we likey.

The biggest lesson I have learned through the research process is the need to be really intentional about what we eat. Yes people, this means planning and be organized. Now, for those of you who know me, this isn't a huge stretch (hee hee). I thrive on this stuff! We have been eating black bean soup, chicken teriyaki (with homemade teryaki sauce and kamut and vegetable pasta), squash and apple quinoa, barley with beans and avocado, veggie guacamole, veggies and hummus, and chocolate pudding. Chocolate pudding??!! You betcha!

Chocolate pudding - amazing!!
My hubby is a pretty particular guy. This, at times, has frustrated me, but I love the fact that he will try everything (he just make not like it - and he will tell you). So, one night this week, I told him I had made chocolate pudding and that he had to try just a teensy bit (even though he has given up chocolate for Lent). Ben tried it ... and he really liked this pudding!! And guess what? It is made with avocado!!?? Really and truly it is! And it is delicious and you can't even tell. You must try this recipe. Now.

So far, I have had a lot of fun coming up with things for us to eat. The kids are enjoying everything (I have really good eaters) as am I. The challenge has been to keep everything dairy-free for Vi, but so far, so good. I found a product called "Earth Balance Buttery Spread" and it is going to be our butter substitue in baking, etc. I'll keep you posted as to how this works out. :)

And, to save you from asking, this changes aren't just from a health standpoint. Yes, we are very concerned with the chemicals being added to our food (check this out on canola oil). Yes, I want to protect my girls (and us). But I also want to start living in a more responsible manner, cognizant of our food supply, transporting goods, farming practices, affects on the environment, etc. Guess you can't take the farm out of a farm girl, huh? The changes are also rooted in a spiritual viewpoint also. Our bodies are temples for God. We should really start to treat them as such.

Well, there is another recipe I want to try out tonight, so I better run. Here's to eating green and clean,
Tam

1 comment:

christine said...

Awesome Blog Tammy! This is great! I found a different chocolate puddign recipe with avocado because we can't do peanuts in our house. It was good. 2 out of 3 kids liked it. For the third kid, i chopped up bananas and had her dip them in th epudding for breakfast. That did it. She was sold. THhe luxury of havin gpudding for breakfast...only when made with avocado!! :)
Love your green smoothie recipe. We will have to share. Is yours from diva dish? We have a few from another book that i can share with you too. Please tell me where you got that butter substitute.Hope your kids enjoy the smoothie soon. GOtta run beofre i don;t have time to make my own smoothie. Enjoy your day. Keep us posted.!!