February 25, 2012

Curlies unite!

All I can say is wow. Last night after the girlies were fast asleep, I sat down and decided that I was going to spend the evening online. This doesn't happen very happen. I generally have some things to do, and then would rather read than surf, but I was on a mission. The Smith clan is going to be cleaning up our eating. And that will be for another post...

I found a blog through, what else, pinterest. Love it or hate it, I have already found some awesome tools and recipes and ideas. It's fun to share ideas and finds online. You can probably waste too much time on it, but so far, so good for me (according to me. Ask Ben and he might disagree, though he liked those peanut butter cup brownies last weekend...). I digress. Anyhoo, the blog I found was The Diva Dish and it is written by a mom who is pretty passionate about establishing healthy eating habits in her daughter. This really resonated with me. Another blog she recommended was Peas and Thank You (super cute title and the family calls themselves "The Peas". MamaPea wrote a post entitled "Curly Girl" so I thought I would take a look. Three hours later (12:35 am to be exact), I put my iPad to sleep so I could get sleep.

Turns out, MamaPea has been using the Curly Girl method of doing her hair, which I started using about 7 years ago. A book caught my eye one visit to Chapters, entitled The Curly Girl Handbook. I was hooked. It talked all about how curly hair needs different treatment than straight hair, how shampoo is full of sulfates that strip the hair of its needed moisture, how the best thing one can do for their curly hair is only use conditioner and let their hair air dry. I mentioned it to my stylist at the time, lent him the book, and never got it back.

Last night's investigation was eye-opening on several levels:
1. Who knew there were so many girls with curly hair who are so passionate about wearing their hair the way God intended - curly and beautiful??!!
2. I learned there are more important things than curl type to determine the needs of curly hair (like texture, porosity, elasticity).
3. There are websites and blogs fully devoted to the care of curly hair that are super informative.
4. Girls with curly hair should use a satin pillowcase for sleeping. It is known to decrease frizz.
5. One should never towel dry their curly locks. A microfiber towel or old t-shirt is best. AND YOU ONLY EVER SCRUNCH.
6. You apply your styling product (gel works best with my hair type and our weather) to soaking wet hair and then you plop...or not.
7. There is even a correct way to diffuse your hair (the pixie method) ONLY if you have to diffuse. Needless to say, I wasn't doing it this way. :)
8. Curlies have their own lingo (cowash = washing with a conditioner that is free from silicone, no poo = no shampoo or a specially designed shampoo that does not lather and does not contain sulfates, condish = conditioner, CG = curly girl method). In fact, there is a whole thread that explains all the acronyms, abbreviations, etc.
9. I haven't been treating my hair the way I should - from not providing enough moisture, to not styling it properly. I took a little trip today with the girlies and purchased some prodecuts that both Ro and I can use. WE ARE EXCITED!

I thought I would post a before and after picture. The after picture will be revealed in a couple of weeks of perfecting the regime.



Does this post confirm my nerdhood? Well, bye bye to sulfates, silicones (which my current conditioner has which are not water soluble and build up on my hair), and hello to beautiful curly hair,
Tam

No comments: